There’s a fairly simple treatment that could help get you ready for summer weather, and now’s a great time to get started. Laser hair removal can be performed anywhere on the face and body, regardless of your skin type, and you won’t have to be self-conscious about unwanted hair again. Start your treatments by making an appointment today. Call (415) 788-3800.
A brief explanation of how laser hair removal works
- The laser emits a beam of high-intensity light that penetrates deep into the skin.
- A hand-piece touches the skin to deliver the laser light.
- This high-intensity light delivers a controlled amount of heat.
- The heat is attracted to the pigment in hair follicles.
- This allows the laser light to target and destroy the hair follicle
- There is no damage to the surrounding skin.
The two different lasers we have at Aura are used specific to the patient’s skin type
- Candela GentleLASE,
This is a long-pulse alexandrite wavelength for fair skin.
- Cutera CoolGlide
This is a YAG wavelength ideal for the darker skin.
The number of necessary treatments also depends on you
Your skin color, hair coarseness and the laser used will determine how many treatments can give you the desired results. Most patients require six sessions at about four to eight-week intervals for effective reduction of hair, and additional sessions may be needed to achieve optimal results. Each treatment can take from a few minutes up to an hour, depending on the area being treated.
The time between treatments will depend on the areas you are treating
- Face – four weeks
- Bikini area– six weeks
- Legs – eight weeks
The type of skin and hair you have will determine how many sessions you need
- Lighter skin and darker hair can often require fewer sessions.
- Darker skin may require more sessions.
- Blond, red, gray or white hair doesn’t respond to laser treatment because there’s no pigment in the hair follicle to attract the laser heat.
Our cooling methods will help control any discomfort
We use specific methods designed to cool the skin and reduce discomfort:
- The Dynamic Cooling Device (DCD)
- Cold gel
- Chill-tip hand-piece